A good six years ago I did a questionnaire about the year previous; I’ve decided to do it again in good faith and see how I feel about it. The original post was removed because I’m trying to clean things up a bit and it was somewhat cringeworthy, but the original concept was from Georgie, so…
1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
Not a damn thing of actual merit. I got on a sort of schedule and into new habits, though.
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Sort of, I managed to do part of a goal I had set. I want to make some for this year but the general “lose more weight” and such seem lame, as those are always my goals. I might try reading more books or something like that.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, and it’s a good thing as my dislike for children is growing every day. I don’t hate them, per se, I just don’t want to live with one… which I do right now.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thankfully. Not sure I could handle that.
5. What countries did you visit?
Didn’t leave this one, unfortunately.
6. What would you like to have in the new year that you lacked in this?
Stability sounds good; I feel like I’m finally finding some grounding in my life and I’d like to be able to offer more. I’m going to be seeking employment opportunities that work for my personal disabilities and seeing if I can’t actually be of use.
7. What date from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory?
The day Trump was elected.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I think coming to terms with my own shortcomings and realising that things don’t always have to work out to be worth it.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Failing to recognise that I have worth most of the time. As much as I try to keep being positive my mind immediately spirals out because of my anxieties and things.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was sick a handful of times, but no injuries so to speak. Funny enough, this year has started off with me having a menstrual migraine that had me vomiting for 9 hours, so I think 2016 beats 2017 already.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
This weird little velvet room keychain for Pete.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
I don’t know about this one; everyone sort of acted as they always have, it’s not so much that someone merited celebration specifically for their behaviour and more that people merited celebration just for being them.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Alice. She’s a monster. (she’s my roommate’s sister and my other roommate’s daughter it’s some shit how awful she is.)
14. Where did most of your money go?
Buying pretty things for awesome people.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The Garo event for FFXIV; it starts tomorrow and I’m so excited I can’t stand it, but it WAS announced last year so it counts.
16. What song/album will always remind you of 2016?
Unfortunately, fucking PPAP.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a. happier or sadder? happier, I think.
b. thinner or fatter? thinner, woo.
c. richer or poorer? same, unfortunately.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Exhausted mostly; was up the entire night before helping clean house and dealing with some people’s issues.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
In a call? My dad. Texting? Peter.
22. Did you fall in love this year?
No, not specifically. I am in love, though.
23. How many one night stands in this last year?
Same as every year, Pinky. None.
24. What was your favourite TV programme?
Uh, not sure I had one specifically, to be honest. I kept up on Arrow and Supernatural, though.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate’s a strong word, so no.
26. What was the best book(s) you read?
Still finishing it up, but the Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan is pretty good. And I started it last year.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I’m not sure it counts, but I grew an absolute obsession with Hiroyuki Sawano; I’d loved his music before but I ended up obsessed with it before the year had even begun last year.
28. What did you want and get?
Pete? I guess, maybe, I don’t know. A Wii U, a new 3ds, some games (most of these bought by Pete, so yeah.)
29. What did you want and not get?
Pete? Sorta, I mean a few times, and it’s still complicated.
30. What were your favourite films of this year?
Captain America: Civil War was pretty phenomenal.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Nada! As always. My birthdays are lame and ridiculous; I’m 33.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being able to visit my dad without fear of hours long motion sickness and migraines after; if I could have afforded it I still would have done it even with those happening.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept this year?
Same as it is every year, Pinky. Casual and comfortable.
34. What kept you sane?
My best friends.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Christina Hendricks, I suppose. That love hasn’t stopped in six years.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who did you miss?
… my mom.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Didn’t meet a crazy lot of new people; Eri ranks even if it has only been a couple of months.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned this year.
That not everything works out the way you want it to, and it doesn’t really matter if it does or not. Sometimes things suck, and sometimes you love people more than they love you, but it doesn’t make either of you any less valid. People are hurt, and ‘damaged’, and sometimes they need time to come to terms with who they are before they can accept you, and that’s fine. But you also don’t have to suffer these things in silence; you’re allowed to demand you be taken care of even if the others have damage.